You surely know it, this word processing application from the Google suite. This is obviously Google Docs available on all devices. The application allows you to manage and modify your documents wherever you are and at your leisure. It also offers a wide range of possibilities: adding images, tables and even graphs. It is this last feature that is the subject of this tutorial.
How to insert a chart directly into Google Docs?
Inserting a graphic directly on Google Docs is a very simple operation. Just open the document where you want embed chart and point your cursor where you want it to be created. Next :
- Click on the “Insert” menu in the top horizontal bar of Google Docs to display the options.
- Then click (or hover) on “Graph”.
- At this level, a sub-menu will appear for you to choose between four types of charts : bars, rows, columns and sectors. choose the one that suits you best.
- In this tutorial, we chose lines. Once selected, the graph is automatically created at the place where your cursor is placed.
- It will now take edit chart data. This will be done using Google Sheets. after clicking “Edit in Sheets”.
- Once redirected to Google Sheets, you will see the data that was used to create the previous chart within a table. Modify this data to obtain a graph based on your own information.
- Once done, return to the Google Docs window and click the “Update” button. It is located near your chart.
- The moment you perform this action, your chart will immediately take on a different look. The latter will be based on the data inserted into the Excel file.
How to insert a chart into Google Docs from Google Sheets?
If you instead want to insert your chart from data that already exists in Google Sheets, the process will be only slightly different from that explained above.
- In this case, after having clicked on “Chart”, you will have to select “From Sheets”.
- A dialog box will then open. You will now need to click on the worksheet that contains the chart you want to insert.
- Then choose to click on the “Select” button to start creating the graph.
- However, another dialog box will open to allow you to choose the graphic to import. If the spreadsheet contains more than one, choose the one you need to include.
- Click the “Import” button to start the import operation.
- You will notice that the chart will automatically insert itself where your cursor is.
READ ALSO: HOW TO REPLICATE THE SCREEN OF YOUR SAMSUNG PHONE ON PC?
Edit a chart in Google Docs
Now that your chart is successfully inserted into Google Docs, you can enhance it as you wish. Therefore, sIf you notice that the chart needs slight modifications:
- Start by clicking on the chart. A downward pointing arrow will appear in its upper right corner, click on it.
- Then select “Open Source”.
- You no doubt understand that the linked spreadsheet where the chart is from will open in Google Sheets. So do not hesitate to bring theNecessary changes to the data on this sheet. You can add or delete data depending on what you want to obtain.
- Once done, return to Google Docs and click on the “Update” button. It is located at the top of your chart (feel free to select the chart by clicking on it).
- And that’s it! Your chart is ready.